When a person is involved in a car accident in Los Angeles due to the negligence of another party, they may be entitled to file a personal injury claim and obtain compensation for damages.
There are times, however, when damages may exceed the limits of the responsible party's policy, and even exceed the limits of your own insurance.
In the state of California, all drivers must have liability insurance. The minimum limits of liability for bodily injury and property damage are:
– $15,000 for personal injury or death
– $30,000 for injury or death of more than one person
– $5,000 for damage to other people's property
Please note that this is only the minimum coverage required by law. Some motorists have coverage with higher policy limits and getting a coverage beyond the minimum is a good recommendation.
Even though having car insurance is a requirement, there are some drivers on the road who are uninsured or have only minimal insurance.
For these types of situations, you should consider getting uninsured motorist or underinsured motorist coverage. With this coverage, even when the responsible party has no insurance or only has minimal coverage, you could file a claim with your own insurance company.
At the time of getting insurance, the insurance company must inform you about the limit of the policy you are acquiring. This refers to the maximum amount of money that the company will pay on your behalf for the damages that you have caused.
What To Do If My Medical Bills Exceed The Defendant's Auto Policy Limits
It is not very common for damages from a car accident to exceed the limits of a policy, however, it does happen. Therefore, it is important to understand what you can do if you or a loved one find yourselves in this situation.
1. File a lawsuit against the insurer of the responsible person. It is common for insurance companies to use strategies to avoid paying a claim. You can file a lawsuit against the insurer for acting in bad faith.
2. File a lawsuit directly against the responsible person. When the responsible party's policy is not enough, and they have financial resources, it might even be better to file a lawsuit directly against them in order to obtain the compensation you deserve.
Getting The Help You Need After An Accident
In any case, it is important that you have the advice of an experienced Los Angeles Personal Injury Lawyer in the area. Call us today and schedule a consultation. Let us help you get the justice you deserve.
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment