Have you ever been involved in a car accident? If you have had this unfortunate experience, you know very well what it is like to deal with insurance companies. It is a process that can be pretty cumbersome and long. However, having car insurance is mandatory, and it also gives us a safety net for any eventuality that may happen, trusting that our insurance company will help us solve it.
Although this happens in some cases, it should not be forgotten that insurers are still a business at the end of the day. And in business, they generally seek to obtain the most significant amount of income, always trying to avoid paying as much as possible.
Insurers use some strategies to avoid having to pay a claim after an accident. Here are some of them:
- Outright reject your claim. Insurance companies can deny a claim due to different reasons. Some of them being that your insurance does not cover all damages and injuries resulting from the accident. An attorney can help you review your policy and ensure that they do not evade their obligations.
- Offer deals with a much lower amount than you deserve. What an insurance company seeks the most is paying as little as possible. In many cases, the amounts they offer initially to settle are far less than what the victims deserve. Do not accept an offer without consulting with an attorney.
- Request a recorded statement that can be used against you. The adjusters will likely call you and ask you to recount the details of the accident while they record you. This is definitely not a good idea. Once they have your recording, you run the risk that they could use it to misrepresent some of your comments and claim you are liable for the accident.
- Delay the process. By making the process longer than it needs to be, insurance companies may be waiting for the statute of limitations to be met or shortened, so you have to make decisions quickly. Or they may be waiting for you to give up when you see that the situation is not being solved.
- Talk you out of talking to a lawyer. Adjusters will often try to talk you out of talking to an attorney, claiming that hiring one can be very expensive. The reality is that, in order to pay you as little as possible, they will try to take advantage of your lack of knowledge in the area, so that you accept the first offer that they make you. Talking to a lawyer will always be the best thing to do, so that they can help you take care of your interests.
- Claim that your injury is pre-existing. Another trick that insurance companies can use is to claim that your injuries are pre-existing. That is to say, that your injury already existed before the accident, and that is why you are not entitled to compensation. This is just another excuse for not paying you what you deserve. Even if you had an injury before the accident, if your injury was aggravated as a result of the impact, you may still be entitled to compensation.
If you have been involved in an accident and feel that your insurance company is not offering you enough, contact us immediately. Our Los Angeles car accident attorneys can help you obtain the compensation that you deserve and need for your recovery. Simply fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation today and get help with your claim!
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment